Saturday, June 21, 2008

Paloma Plaza

Bogotá has some of the most shat upon statues I have ever encountered. There are an ungodly number of pigeons at large in the city and their presence is definitely evident, particularly in La Plaza De Bolivar outside of the capital building. The first time I saw one of the statues here I thought it had painted white hair. Nope. I started keeping an eye out for it and actually caught a picture of one actively crapping on a statue's head.

I think people must be selling birdfeed; I saw people throwing something seedlike at them. One little boy kept throwing food to get the birds concentrated in one area so he could charge at them more easily. Small children chasing birds is completely the most adorable thing, they really believe they'll be able catch them but if they ever did they'd be completely at a loss as to what to do next.

2 comments:

adrianne said...

so, what's bogota like?

William said...

It's gigantic, ancient, chilly and sometimes rainy. But it's also full of cool museums, nightlife, restaurants, theater, you know, big city stuff.