Thursday, June 19, 2008

Parapentes

Because of its location, Medellín is said to be one of the best places in the world for paragliding. I developed a certain (possibly unhealthy) interest in jumping from great heights after I tried skydiving so this immediately caught my attention, and at a price of only $45 I was easily sold. I took a bus ride up the winding roads in the mountains outside Bella and got off at El Voladero. There was a narrow staircase leading up to the takeoff site and although it was only a five minute walk the air was so thin I had to stop to catch my breath. It was well worth it though, here is a picture I took from probably around a mile up in the air.

There were actually hawks flying around as close as 30 feet from me at times and the view of the city was spectacular. I also spotted farms and forest and a waterfall, plus a blue sky full of cumulus clouds (my favorite kind). There was a Korean girl in the air at the same time, and this blurry picture was all I could catch to show what paragliding actually looks like. Anyway, here's a video of the actual landing.

5 comments:

PUGBOT! said...

you can recreate that "having to stop to catch your breath" experience with a pack of camels. $3.47 vs $45.00

think about it

PUGBOT! said...

lol rebecca

JEFF said...

where is the video? They let you do this with zero training or experience?

William said...

They're tandem jumps just like with skydiving, you don't actually have to do anything.

Anonymous said...

william-
this sounds like an amazing time!
-margaret