Thursday, June 12, 2008

Las Iglesias

There are a ton of churches in Medellín, to be expected of course in this deeply Catholic country, and some of them are quite impressive. This one, called Catedral Metropolitana, is supposedly the largest in South America and everyone loves to tell you it's got twelve hundred thousand bricks in it, although personally I don't know how many bricks a regular sized church has so I wasn't really impressed until I saw it. I couldn't back up far enough to get the whole church in one frame (there was another fountain in the way) but you can get an idea of the size if you notice the tiny man sitting right outside. Sadly, the doors were all closed so I didn´t try to go in. I only found out later that this is normal, you have to go in through the side doors. Perhaps I'll go back, I read they have a massive 3478 pipe organ which I'd love to check out, and although I'm sure by the time I leave South America I will be thoroughly sick of looking at incredibly large, important, or old churches, I've not had my fill just yet.

1 comment:

JEFF said...

I remeber a brick church next to a post office where I used to mail letters. Avianca carried much of the mail so it was all air mail. The called it entrega inmediata or something like that.

Anyway, they said that church was very famous for some reason butut I don't remember this large church in the photo at all.