Thursday, August 7, 2008

Salvadoran Surfing

El Salvador is famous for more than just bloody civil war and gang violence. Most notably the surfing here is legendary. La Punta Roca just outside La Libertad is often hailed as the best waves in Central America. And of course, with the mad skilz I picked up from my one attempt on a gentle beach break in Panama, I was there. Though I asked around to find the gentlest surf on the coast I still got my ass handed to me, pounded repeatedly by waves much taller than myself.

Luckily that night a big storm brought weaker surf and less crowds (though notably dirtier water), and the next day I was able to catch a single wave and a massive sunburn. I also chatted up a local with a delightfully clear accent who hacked open a fresh coconut with a machete for me---no idea how I avoided trying one sooner, having been in palm tree land so long.

1 comment:

adrianne said...

I thought you were in Guatemala?