Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Isla de Coiba

The island is an old penal colony with a nasty history from Noriega's brutal reign which was converted into a national park by the Panamanian government in 1992. It's surrounded by coral and our first dive was right off its coast around Wahoo Rock. The visibility was amazing and we swam with a gigantic manta, dozens of species of fish, and white tip sharks.

We docked on the island for lunch and I got thoroughly lost on the unmarked trails leading through the ancient forest. I ran into the island's resident crocodile but wasn't able to get very close. When I found my way back to the boat we headed back out for the second dive, which was less eventful though we spotted a few more sharks. My ears are still throbbing from the pressure of 70 feet of water.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The diving sounds amazing. Had you been scuba diving before? How did you get to be so daring? (and what can I do to learn?) We went white water rafting on Friday and I was a nervous wreck.

adrianne said...

buen photo.

Molly said...

William, I just discovered your new blog from your old India one. It's awesome, your travels look amazing! Have lots of fun and be safe, see you in the fall!