Friday, August 1, 2008

Managua

A backpacker I met in Granada described Managua to me before my arrival. "You know how Central American capitals are usually city centers surrounded by shantytowns? Well after the 1972 earthquake the city center was destroyed and replaced with more shantytown." Here's a picture of the city before the earthquake that took over 10,000 lives. The government will probably never put money into restoring the city to its former state for fear of another one like it.

Ordinarily the first thing I do when I get to a new town is find somewhere to stay so I don't have to lug all my things with me while walking around the city. Here I payed the extra money to take taxis all day and left for EstelĂ­ before nightfall. You can see why if you look at some of the housing right in the heart of town, just outside Parque De La Paz (Peace Park).

1 comment:

JEFF said...

You could have stayed on the periphery. Same experience as I had.