Monday, June 23, 2008

Language Is So Dope!

I noticed some Spanish moss hanging from the rocks and asked Carlos what it was called. He didn't know but one of the other climbers said "barba del viejo," which means old man's beard, and jokingly warned me not to try to use it as a climbing hold. Is that not the coolest name ever? Way cooler than Spanish moss, that's for sure, especially since barba del viejo is neither moss nor in Spain.

Oh, I picked up another cool new expression as well. Sometimes when rock climbing certain muscles get tired and start to quiver a lot the way your leg does when you tap it really fast. There isn't an expression for this in English that I know of but in Spanish it's apparently called motocicleta, which literally means motorbike. I found this out when someone shouted 'para tu moto' which actually translates to 'stop your bike.'