Saturday, June 28, 2008

No Niños

I finally made it to the Jardín Botánico were I was planning to practice my plant vocab and was rather disappointed to find the place completely overrun with children. Now I don't mean to be a grinch, and I probably should've expected a botanical garden to be mainly a place of niños, but still, nothing ruins a nice stroll through the park like the banshee screams of a thousand tiny goblins tearing up the flora with their snotty little claws.

It was a drizzly day anyway so after I got a solid picture or two I left for the cine-dome at Maloka to catch a 3D movie. It was also overrun with children, and they were no less rambunctious than the ones at the gardens, so I left early with a headache for the most kid-unfriendly place imaginable: the liberal thespian troupe Teatro Libre's Colombian stage adaptation of Dostoevsky's classic The Brothers Karamazov. Booyah. It was in Spanish so I understood less than 10% of the dialogue but at least there were NO NIÑOS.

2 comments:

adrianne said...

do you ever make jokes in spanish? do people make the kind of jokes where it's funny because it rhymes?

William said...

I can't make good jokes yet, but I try. Actually rhyming expressions are more common in Spanish than in English, probably because it's easier to make them.