Friday, July 11, 2008

Panama City

I just flew into Panama City and was surprised to see how developed the area is. Real estate is clearly big money here right now and the ads are everywhere. I'm staying in the San Francisco district which isn't even that ritsy and from my room I can see at least five stationary cranes. They're probably working on more resorts and condos. It reminds me of Dubai, but cheaper.

Unfortunately, it's also ultra touristy. The Americans clearly didn't leave after the Panamanians took back their canal. I even ran into a guy from Virginia Beach. He was some surfer punk who went to Cox High School, like five minutes from my house. I'm not sure why that bothers me, but I think I'm gonna have to get out of the city and into the northern part of the country sooner than I planned.

6 comments:

JEFF said...

You are correct. Panama City is not the experience you are looking for. I was there in October and found nothing interesting about it.

Is it dry or wet?

adrianne said...

photo?

Anonymous said...

jeffries we're back in the states, why did you decide to go north? the food get to you already?

William said...

It's wet, but not that wet. I can get by quite comfortably with a cheap little umbrella.

Photo posted late, and is crappy. I'll make up for it tomorrow.

All the backpackers I met along the way said to go south when it isn't winter. In the hostels everyone's heading north.

Anonymous said...

hey william! it's courtney. who was the cox asshole? maybe i had the pleasure of his acquaintanceship.
hope all is well!

William said...

his name was will. mid height, brown hair, goatee. looked midtwenties though, possibly graduated before you got there.