Monday, August 11, 2008

Another Festival

There was a festival with something to do with an important virgin in Antigua and tons of flowers were laid out prettily on the streets for the parade to walk across. They also used these horrible fireworks they have here that just make noises like gunshots and create a lot of smoke but don't actually look cool at all like fireworks are supposed to. I've seen them around before and I hate them. They are kind of scary and all the stray dogs completely flipped out.

The street was packed with people, many of them carrying signs or floats having something to do with a virgin saint. I thought it kind of sad they had to trample over all the carefully arranged flowers, which of course were a mess after the parade passed. However I do like the way everybody participates in the parade, not just the people in costume and whatnot. There are no bystanders except for a few gringos like me taking pictures.

No comments: