Friday, August 15, 2008

Where Coffee Comes From

There's an organic fair trade coffee farm just a short drive from where I'm staying so I hopped on a shuttle bus and went to check it out. Turns out they're just like regular coffee farms except with slightly higher wages. Still though, coffee farms are interesting in general and the museum was well put together. There were tours but the place was almost empty so the guide ended up showing just me and two Italians around. Italian is apparently so similar to Spanish that they were able to understand the tour without a translator. Crazy.

So it turns out coffee plants are rather boring. I'm fairly certain I've seen similar looking plants in my backyard. However the manner in which they are processed was fairly interesting. Apparently it takes about 6.5 pounds of raw bean to produce a single pound of roast, and goes through four separate stages in between. The best part was definitely the free cup of espresso at the end.

2 comments:

JEFF said...

Hey - you should be down now. Welcome back.

adrianne said...

I always though Italian sounded just like Spanish.